Sunday, December 6, 2015

You Say Today, I Say Tomorrow

Here is a little lesson about the days of the week in China.

Monday in Chinese is known as Xingqi Yi (day one), Xingqi Er (day two), etc.
I like to say Xingqi Wu (day five) is my favorite because it's Friday.

My husband was telling me he had his Chinese tutor on Xingqi Wu (Day Five, Friday). He was waiting in the office and waiting and waiting and the tutor didn't know up.  Why you ask? Because my husband was thinking in Hebrew.

He was waiting on day 5 which in hebrew is Yom Hameshe (day 5).  In Israel the week starts on Sunday so Sunday is Yom Rhishon (day one), Monday is Yom Shaynee (day two), etc.

Talk about a cultural cluster clash?  My husband was waiting on the wrong day 5, one day early in China.

No comments :

Post a Comment