Saturday, December 12, 2015

Spice and ...

My cooking is off.  I am not sure why or how. Perhaps it is the lack of my normal kitchen accouterments. We left our entire kitchen (dishes, pots, pans and utensils) in storage.  By the time it all would have arrived in China we'd still of had to buy the basics to get us started and hold us over.

With the help if Ikea we have the basics. And I mean basics.  But I can't out my finger on why exactly my seasoning is off.  Maybe it's because things aren't as accessible as they are in NY? I mean I can get everything I need to bake and cook here, for the most part, but some things are at stores a little further away.

I have been motivated to take my own advice. I have a notebook full of recipes I have torn out of magazines or printed out from online.  I am trying to filter through them and cook them so I can decide which I will keep and which are duds.  Breaded asparagus, baked salmon with a brown sugar and soy glaze were hits. Homemade ravioli, challah and banana muffins mediocore.

It just seemed easier and more natural to cook and bake in my apartment in New York.  I didn't struggle as much to think of shabbat meals or dinner ideas during the week.  And yes we have the Ayi to cook too but I do miss cooking myself.

No comments :

Post a Comment