Saturday, December 5, 2015

Shanghai's Got Talent?

I'm on a planning committee for an event happening for ladies only to celebrate Hannukah. One of the woman planning it is also starring in the event singing a few songs (she is an Opera singer by training).

While at this meeting Opera singer mentions how she is also singing this week at a Chinese Christmas party, holiday songs and Christmas songs. 

The Chabad Rebbitzan asked Opera-woman how she can sing Christmas songs? She replied she has a gift and holidays bring people together why wouldn't she want to share her voice. 

The Rebbitzan responded that she doesn't understand, morally, how Opera-woman can sing Christian songs. Fundamentally it was against what she believes so she would not do it. I'm not surprised by the Rebbitzan's comments one bit. I was also how not surprised how this conversation could have gotten very confrontational and uncomfortable. But both the Rebbitzan and Opera-woman were remarkable respectful and held firm with their beliefs and agreed they both would not budge with their beliefs. 

It got me thinking, how I, much like the Rebbitzan,  would not sing (trust me you are not missing anything) publicly, non-Jewish songs. But what else would I not do that might compromise my beliefs, my values, not just my Jewish practice?

It got us talking at home what are limits would be.  My husband reminded of recent story that happened in NY.  WNBC, the New York affiliate of NBC, has a clip of the employees singing Christmas songs in front of the tree at 30 Rock. We know two friends, who are Jewish, who work at WNBC who were telling us about the commercial and how they actually mouthed fake words rather than sing the Christmas songs.

It was one solution and it was very cool to see them on TV.  I think the commercial, much like what Opera-woman was saying, was about the holiday spirit.  But it's not like they were singing near a menorah or Hannukah songs.  And by those two people not singing had it made a difference? I see both sides to the gelt (sorry bad humor gelt=coin).

While I am still thinking about my limits, I am curious what are your limits?


No comments :

Post a Comment