Wednesday, December 16, 2015

Wok and Roll

I bought a wok. Yes you might think it would have been one of the first things we bought here but it wasn't. And we managed nearly 10 months without one.  While at Ikea the other day I was intrigued and bought a wok.

When I hear wok I think sukiyaki.  Who knew this was a real, authentic dish not something my mom made up to have a fast and easy dinner for her family.  I honestly did not think this was a recipe until my mom so kindly shared it with me when I got married.  All this time I thought it was something she made up.  And now I have a real wok, as she did, to prepare it.

Does the shape of the pan really change the flavor of the food? Basically I have read that the shape of a wok heats faster, cooks faster which means less cooking oil which equals healthier food.  Because of its shape, the ingredients always return to the center, where the heat is most intense.

And look at all the cooking styles you can use with a wok:  stir frying, steaming, pan frying, deep frying, poaching, boiling, braising, searing, stewing, making soup, smoking and roasting nuts

And since I have a "wok flame" on our stove top, why not utilize it.

My first attempt with my wok....Mexican fajitas.

*While not my mom's recipe, this was close enough.


INGREDIENTS

1 tablespoon vegetable oil
1 1/2 pounds beef sirloin strips
2/3 cup soy sauce
1/3 cup chicken broth
1/3 cup white sugar
3 small onions, sliced
2 cups chopped celery
1 (14 ounce) can bamboo shoots, drained and chopped
4 green onions, sliced
1 (4.5 ounce) can mushrooms, drained
1 (8 ounce) can water chestnuts, drained
1 teaspoon cornstarch

PREPARATION

Heat oil in a large skillet or wok over medium-high heat. Brown beef in hot oil, then stir in soy sauce, MSG, broth, and sugar. Mix in onion and celery, and cook until tender. Stir in bamboo shoots, green onions, mushrooms, and water chestnuts. Reduce heat to medium, stir in cornstarch, and simmer until sauce is thickened.

No comments :

Post a Comment