Wednesday, November 4, 2015

Got Chicken?

Got chicken? Lucky you! It's 2015 and I have not been able to buy chicken at the market in 2 weeks.  No it's not 1915 but 2015 and I am clearly not in the United States.  Really when was the last time you went food shopping and were not able to buy a staple to your diet?? I feel like I am living in the old country.

In June I bought about $100 worth of chicken breast.  Don't ask me how many pounds/kilograms that is because I didn't figure it out since it is what it is and there is only one place to buy kosher chicken in Shanghai.  I have no idea of it's a "good price".  It's not like I'll be going to Costco for better pricing.  The June Supply lasted us until about mid September.  We generally rotate between, noodles, fish and chicken.  Rinse and repeat.

Discussing the shortage with my sister-in-law this morning, she started to say well make pizza or mac and cheese....right not really dairy either.  We have cheese in the freezer but we are not big cheese eaters.  We've been fine, don't worry we are not wasting away. But I do feel bad for the kids as I like to make sure they get some hardy protein in during the day.  Chicken-with ketchup is my sons favorite meal.  I'd even try tofu but my husband will not touch it.

Basically I am waiting for the chickens to be "prepared" in Beijing and then they have to be delivered to Shanghai, separated and packaged and then frozen.  Hopefully tomorrow our next batch of chicken will be ready and I won't be making the mistake again and will be getting $200 worth of chicken breast this time.

Yes we have a spare freezer.  

No comments :

Post a Comment