Thursday, November 5, 2015

In the Meantime

I am still amazed about day to day cultural nuances living in this cultural. For example, in a city of 24 million people and almost a taxi for every person, it's still hard sometimes to hail a taxi.

I'm amazed that, I, can get around not knowing a lick of directions/driving vocabulary. I've learned to use a maps app that shows where I'm going and where I am so I can make sure the driver isn't taking me a more expensive route.

I can cross a street in under 10 seconds. That's pretty good. I'm telling you.

How are so many Chinese sooooo thin when most of their diet is noodles, eggs and soy sauce. Not a stereotype at all. They put egg in anything. As an omelette (obviously), soup, rice, chicken. Is their cholesterol thru the roof?

How much I've learned to pantomime to communicate with those I see everyday. When I came home this morning there 5 men who seemed to be police circled around one of the doormen in our building. I was VERY curious but clearly had no clue what was going on. I go up to our apartment and our Ayi starts asking me did I see the men downstairs and we proceeded to pantomime what we each witnessed and what we thought happened. What I interpreted from my Ayi is that the doorman punched someone in the nose, blood was everywhere out his nostrils and the police slapped him back and forth in front of everyone. Now I have to wait for the English speaking door woman to see which us wins this round of charades.

In the meantime.


- Posted using BlogPress from my iPhone

No comments :

Post a Comment