Wednesday, November 11, 2015

Sentimentality Deleted?

I know, mostly from all my experience watching CSI, NCIS and Law and Order and from common sense, when you delete an email it is not really deleted forever.

My son is off from school and all he wants to do, most of the time, is stay in the apartment.  Much like my daughter, most of the time I like to be out.  Meeting friends, running errands, exercise, exploring, whatever.  Don't get me wrong, some days it's great to be cozy at home and have a lazy day. But a lazy day with 2 kids is not the same as a lazy 5 years ago for me.  Also staying in all day with an active 4.5 year old get's a bit much after 3 days...

While staying in we have been enjoying my "top rated" and "most frequently played" songs on itunes as background music.  While reading emails at home I ended up looking at my storage space in my gmail.  I had 9GB of 15 GB used of storage. Over the 15GB gmail offers an extended storage at a cost.  So I started deleting my junk mail "permanently".  Spam, store sales, classes offered for my kids, classes ordered for me.  Deleted   My available storage started being freed up.   While my kid is playing spiderman-magnatiles against Darth Vadar-Hot Wheels I have been deleting my emails "for good".

By just deleting the shopping and shul emails I was down to 6GB used.  Do I need my UPS tracking for packages already delivered, 5 years ago? Or Amazon or Google Express tracking?  Those websites for sure track my purchases AND I have my credit card statements if I really needed a reference.

Then I started coming across emails that I had exchanged with people that had key words like "music class" "library" or "diapers" and I started deleting the emails with my friends not just from the Music Together, NY Public library, Diapers.com.  Then I hesitated, I am deleting emails from friends that mark a period in time of what was happening with me.  Then I continued to delete.  Am I not being sentimental? I do have some emails starred and I used to print out emails that I needed but now I feel I am deleting these emails from ever coming up in my "All Mail" search.  I haven't been looking for information in them and there are certainly emails I do not want to recall or re-experience that period in my life. So I wonder what is the big deal?

Yes, right now I have time on my hands to do this right now but I am enjoying deleting the emails and not thinking about looking back. I am now down 6 GB used of 15GB.

No comments :

Post a Comment