Wednesday, November 18, 2015

Feeling a World Away

I feel like I am a bit in a news warp. Yes I have access to all the news sites and we have satellite TV but I think I actually miss the news inundation that you get at home.  I was on the phone with my mom Sunday and we were discussing the terrible news coming out of France and she said "I had to turn the TV off, I can't watch it anymore".  I remember that feeling at home a myriad of current events and weather updates.  

Here in China, I have not had that feeling.  In fact, my father-in-law is visiting and he wanted to watch the news.  That night was the longest our TV was on adult content since we arrived. We mostly watch DVD's for the kids or Disney Channel but we read our news online and stream our TV shows.  Still, watching CNN I didn't have the same grasp for the intensity of what was happening that I felt if I were watching at our apartment in NY.  I feel detached from the magnitude of what happened.  Maybe people are talking about it in Chinese and I simply don't understand.  But I don't know any buildings or Great Walls that were lit up the color of France's flag like I had seen around the world via facebook.  

Meanwhile, I am staying current and not being inundated with news.  I guess I have leaf fishing and army walks in Shanghai to watch out for in the meantime.




No comments :

Post a Comment