Monday, November 23, 2015

Gobble Gobble

A dear friend just whatsapp'ed me "Curious-Thanksgiving. Just another day or special dinner or mixed feelings?"

I responded, "Just another day." To which she commented, " When I was in Ireland, I missed it.  But I was young and single."

Another friend just asked me with a mountain of envy, "Your kids have a full week of school, right?" To which I responded, "of course, why wouldn't they?"  Right Thanksgiving.  The 2.5 day work week, loads of traffic on the NJ Turnpike, lots of "last minute" sales and the Macy's Thanksgiving Day Parade!

Thanksgiving, as all of you know, is in two short days.  Here in Shanghai I had no idea until last Saturday that it was already the end of November and Thanksgiving was so soon. I am off.  I may have a distorted sense of time or the lack of the holiday here, but I am so off.  Chinese celebrate Halloween, Valentine's Day, Christmas even, but not Thanksgiving.  I've seen a handful, literally 3 or 4 ads, for Thanksgiving meals at restaurants.  No we can not get kosher Turkey here.  No there are no Black Friday sales that was November 11 here (see previous post).

Yes I miss Thanksgiving.  Yes I am glad my son has a full week of school.  It feels strange not to get caught up in the "holiday season" and I am certainly missing being with my family.  My wallet is probably better off not cyber shopping but I am having some family FOMO (fear of missing out) because I am missing out.

A special Happy Birthday shout out to all my family and friends who have birthday's this wonderful week (Rachel H., Greg M., Lexi M., Elana F., Naomi R.,  Lexi B., Melanie F. and best of all MOM)

Gobble, Gobble.

No comments :

Post a Comment