Monday, November 30, 2015

Traveling Tourist

Shabbat in Shanghai can always be interesting because you never know what visitors, travelers or businessmen are coming through town.  80% of the time I'd say it's businessmen (50% of those men are shtreimel wearers) from Israel and New York.  10% might be senior groups and the other 10% are misc travelers.  

I've learned that just as fascinated at me that I love in Shanghai I am fascinated about where they are visiting from and where they are sight-seeing while in China.  The top 3 questions they ask me are:
1. Where do you get kosher food?
2. Where do your kids go to school?
3. Where does your husband work?

I've got the visitor script down pat.  This past shabbat I saw a friendly looking woman who came over to me while my son was enjoying the children's shabbat program.  I asked her where she was from and she replied, "a small town in New York, New Rochelle." I'm plotzing.  A small town, New Rochelle?? For those readers who don't know, when we are not in Shanghai, Manhattan, Cherry Hill, or Stamford we are in New Rochelle.  I felt in an instant like I was near family.  We started talking and found about 5 other ways our lives have overlapped. It was such an unexpected shabbat acquaintance.   

A few weeks ago a dear friend traveled to Shanghai with her brother, family business brought them out this way.  We were lucky enough to enjoy a delicious dinner together and catch up on our lives.  For those 2 hours I felt so much closer to my friends in New York.  It was a touch of home and felt much more than 2 hours together.  

Who knows what next shabbat visitors will bring but I'm happy to meet you and wish you well on your travels.  And to my new friend in New Rochelle, look forward to seeing you in the summer.  


No comments :

Post a Comment