Monday, November 9, 2015

Got Rain?

My son doesn't have school this week, mid-term break.  I had to teach him the term stay-cation this morning.  When I told him that he was on school vacation, he asked "why aren't we going on an airplane then?" So with him home I am trying to take advantage of exploring Shanghai with him.

Last year in New York there was an exhibit at the MoMA call the Rain Room.  Based on a group called the Random International created the experience for people to feel rain. As if walking outside without an umbrella weren't enough? And cheaper!

People camped out overnight to make sure they had a spot in line to see this exhibit.  People waited 8 hours in line to get to experience the exhibit for 20 minutes at max, crowd control.  Enjoy this article from Gothamist and this article from Huffington Post about the lines.  Reading in the paper the buzz about the exhibit but I was in no way interested in waiting in any line to feel rain, no matter how cool people said it was.

Well if you are interested in a 15 hour plane ride, come to Shanghai to the Yuz Museum.  The Rain Room is here and there was no line!  We walked right in and got to stay as long as we wanted.  The rain is controlled by sensors that sense us and the rain stops in the area of our body.  You have to move slowly through the room otherwise you will get wet.  Below are some pictures of our experience.  My son was so scared to walk through so it's just me.  It was definitely cool to experience and I'd recommend the exhibit to anybody visiting Shanghai but I would NOT wait in any line to see it.

See, no line!



Rain selfie



No comments :

Post a Comment