Tuesday, June 9, 2015

Xi'an: 48 hours recapped

As mentioned in previous posts, my Aunt is visiting us. Prior to her visit I asked what she'd like to see and do while visiting China (thinking she might say the Great Wall or the Panda's in Chandu). Her one request was to visit the Terra Cotta Warrior statues.

After doing some quick research I saw that it's about 2 hours Northwest by plane. Planing this trip was my first attempt at planning an excursion within China. I was a bit apprehensive taking on airfare, hotel, transportation, guiding and food for my aunt and my family. Thankfully, and really I knew it would all come together to some degree, it did all came together.

We flew out on a 7:20am flight (yawn) Sunday morning, which meant a 5am airport pick up. We toured the Bell Tower and Drum Tower, Starbucks, Hagen Daz and saw some local markets. It was hot. Really hot.

After we regrouped we ventured out to the South Gate and South Gate Wall. Basically this sight reminded me of the Kotel in Jerusalem but in this case we went to the top of the wall and took a trolley ride around the entire 13 kilometers of the perimeter. The ride gave us a good perspective of life within the city walls and beyond the walls and we got to see the old architecture mixed with the very modern construction, just like the Old City in Jerusalem.


Leading our tour with our guide Jason



Thanksgiving Temple


Buddhist Temple


"Who can say cheese with all this statues???"






No comments :

Post a Comment