Sunday, June 14, 2015

8 Habits Kicked When Moving to China

*Special thank you to my brother Gregg Rosenberg for sharing this interesting and very relevant article with me.  "8 American habits I kicked when I moved to Chinaby Lauren Steffen @ Matador Network pin points great adaptations that are a MUST moving to China.

Here is the gist with my comments and insights

1. Keep my privates private
I was warned to bring tissues and hand sanitizer where ever I go. Thankfully (and mostly because we haven't traveled outside of Shanghai much) this has not been in an issue. Personal space maybe, but so far bathrooms have be clean, "normal/Western" and private, the way I like it.

2.  Waiting patiently for things
This item I encounter most frequently, while in line, at the supermarket produce section waiting for my items to weighed and priced.  It has become apart of my daily routine to go to Carrefour.  If I don't have to go twice in one day than miracle! And if I don't go for a day I just feel off.  Waiting in line you have be a-g-g-r-e-s-s-i-v-e be aggressive.  I am not fooled by the people smiling at my daughter in the stroller and trying to step in front of me, get to the back of the line, I will roll you over with my jogging stroller to get apples and avocados weighed too!

3.  Expecting personal space to be respected
Along the lines of #2, there is no personal space when it comes to looking at and trying to touch my kids. From our first week here and now 5 months later, my aunt from Washington, DC who just spent 2 weeks visiting us described being out in public with us like being with the Kardashians, people follow us like paparazzi. They don't care in any language "don't touch" "not ok" or any other phrase I am learning in Chinese to get them to back off.
We do sometimes wonder if pictures of our kids will go viral one day...you can say you read it here first if it does happen.

4. Not talking to strangers
People like talking English, sometimes. Probably how I feel about practicing my Chinese, alot of "Good Morning", "Hello".  I try not to engage people but when I do I make sure I respond in Chinese.

5. Being safe conscious
Cabs don't have seat belts, there are no rules for helmets, mopeds, scooters, motorcycles or bikes.  There are no rules for minimums or maximums for individuals  and families on said scooters.  Everyone has the right of way and everyone is in a hurry.

6. Talking quietly
When we first arrived I stopped on the sidewalk when I heard people what I though was yelling at each other when really they were having a civil conversation.  It took me a few weeks to get used to people were not attacking each other and really asking for directions or not even arguing over who had the right of way.

7. Communicating through words
Chinese is a very difficult language to learn.  Every word can be pronounced with 4 different sounds and 4 very different words.  Sometimes I think I have the sounds, other days I know I am just off.  Trial and err, I am trying to figure out what I want and where I go but am I turning right when I want to turn right and left when I want to turn left.

8. Always telling the truth
I have not encountered much of this as I naturally like to tell the truth. And most of my fibbing is done when I am bargaining for something in a market.




No comments :

Post a Comment