Monday, June 1, 2015

Finding the Gan Asia in Asia

For those readers who are not Upper West Side based, Gan Asia is only one of the greatest kosher restaurants in our old neighborhood.  It was a staple in our food group pyramid.  I also had a love hate relationship with the food. And a special thank you to Tamar Davis for introducing me to the Drunkman Noodles. 

Searching for good Chinese in China? We found it and it's right here in our own apartment.  We have any Ayi (Chinese for nanny/housekeeper) and she very happy to cook anything, anything!  I will start by saying it is a great pleasure I do not take for granted and savor every moment she is in our home, as this is unlike any opportunity I would have in the States, ever!  

A little Rosenberg family history that when we get together we have a welcome and farewell banquet, usually take out or at a restaurant.  

My GREAT Aunt is visiting us from Washington, DC. She arrived yesterday (your today-Monday afternoon).  We thought originally we would order food from the Chabad restaurant for her welcome banquet but then I thought why do that? We could have a delicious home cooked authentic Chinese meal at home (and I didn't have to cook it!)

Our Ayi prepared a delicious meal of steamed brown rice AND fried rice with vegetables, stir fried chicken and in-season corn on the cob.  I asked our Aunt what she thought of the meal and her feedback "fresh and the corn might be better than Jersey corn".  

Can't beat that.  

No comments :

Post a Comment