Wednesday, October 21, 2015

October 22, 1941: A Day of Glory

Today my father would have turned 74 years old.

I'm not sure what I can say but that I'm thinking about him extra today and he'd say today was a great day.

I know he would be thrilled with the idea of our adventure in Shanghai. And I am missing not being able to tell him week to week what's happening here. My father was a man who loved history. Today, by coincidence, I scheduled with our latest visitors (my brother-in-law and sister-in-law) the rave reviewed Jewish Shanghai tour. I feel what better way could I honor my fathers memory than to learn about the Jews who found refuge in Shanghai at the end of World War 2.

Time has a funny way of making you feel like something so long ago happened so much more recently. I'm feeling right now that I wish I were 16 again (or 20 or 25) and I could pick up the phone and said "daddddddy you being so annnoying" and hearing him chuckle on the other end of the phone. A lot has changed in the last 8 years in my life and in the life of my family. And obviously it's just going to continue, life goes on and he isn't here to enjoy it (and annoy me). But he's in our hearts and our stories and I'll have a l'chaim of scotch soon knowing my brothers will be doing the same soon (in their respective time zones).


-Posted using BlogPress from my iPhone


No comments :

Post a Comment