Thursday, October 29, 2015

Hasidic Chinese

I feel like I am living in a little bit of bizzaro world.  I come from a culture where we are told to be fruitful and multiple, something my father felt was important to remind us it is our job as Jewish people.  I am not surprised of my friends who come from 6,7,9, even 13 siblings.  The rabbi here in Shanghai is 1 of 17! His mother is truly a woman of valor.

In China everyone seems to know of the governments strict one-kid policy.  I recently learned that local hospitals still don't reveal the gender of the baby to the parents fearing it's a girl they will abort and try for a boy.  I have met a few Chinese people from smaller villages and cities that come from larger families 2, 3 and 4 siblings. They are few and far between.  The rules are getting more lenient in some cities, Shanghai being one of them, they are allowing people to have 2 kids.  But if you have twins then the twins are only allowed to have 1 child when they are adults.

Such a different world than I come from.  Here we are with one boy and one girl. Thank god, we have healthy children, I do not take that for granted for one second. When locals see us they tell is we have the "perfect family", one boy and one girl. They don't ask when is the next one coming, will you have more.  We are the perfect Hasidic Chinese family.  When I see Chinese families with two girls or two boys I wonder what they are thinking about their family gender layout.  Or when I see pregnant women thinking this is their only experience they are allowed to have being pregnant (some might say they are lucky).

With no government dictating our family planning and avoiding the social pressures of having more I will enjoy my Hasidic Chinese family.

*credit for this blog inspiration goes to my friend Jodi F. who is enjoying her
Hasidic Chinese-American family with 2 boys in NYC.

No comments :

Post a Comment