Monday, May 4, 2015

Yogurt or Yognot?

I may or may not have successful made my own yogurt!! I will know tomorrow when I actually try it. but it certainly looks like yogurt.

One can certainly buy dairy products in Shanghai, don't misunderstand me, but there is no kosher cheese or yogurt.  We can buy kosher milk from the supermarkets that carry imported goods.  I didn't want to depend on trips to Hong Kong to stock up on yogurt (which they were mostly out of while we were in town) for our supply.

Being limited with a few things had certainly helped me adapt recipes, diet, and expand myself in the produce section. I would not say we are missing cheese and yogurt but is more a very nice treat to have the cheese and kind of fun to learn how to make yogurt at home, something I would never have tried.

I tried the old fashion way (thanks to google and recipes.com for trying to help me) with no fancy machine but my experiment did not turn out so great.  Maybe the natural elements were against me or biology was clearly never my academic strength, who knows. But today I found this machine, a yogurt machine ($24), much like owning a bread machine (much more expensive) it will eventually sit in my closet for a long time and used from time to time  The machine seems to have helped me make yogurt with just 2 quarts of milk and a yogurt squeezie (courtesy of our Hong Kong purchase; yogurt begets yogurt).

Please note: I am learning to speak Chinese but not good enough to read the users manual or understand what the buttons on the machine translate to that is why I am not sure this experiment was completely successful.


No comments :

Post a Comment