Sunday, May 10, 2015

Let it Go....

Not sure if it's the stage of life I am in or the age of parenting but I am learning (and I'm sure my mom would say much younger than she did) to let it go.

As our daughter is learning to walk I keep thinking about when our son started to walk and what it felt like as new parents. How naive I was. To think I could get him on a schedule and that schedule would be consistant EVERY day and my questions could be answered by other parents or Google (gasp) and I'd feel good and non competitive with other NYC mamas because MY baby slept thru the night from birth! Hahahahaha, right.

In the last 4 years I have learned, with having another child, going from zone-defense as parents to man-on-man, to let it go. They are not robots, no two children are exactly alike in a family and outside a family. Letting this notion go has helped me be a more relaxed wife, parent, daughter, sister and friend (though for verification please ask my husband, mother and brother).

Of course it's not so easy to let it go. I really think the combination of life experiences and maturation and the power of positive thinking that the idea is turning into practice and I am loving the results, at least at this moment.

Someone told me that when you go from 1 to 2+ children the child who has the more critical sense of urgency gets the attention. That advice helped me survive the first four months of our daughters life. Colic crying is not necessarily as urgent as the 3 year old having a tantrum.

Really practicing this mantra of letting it go in ernest this past year it has really helped me manage this big move. Even now, nearly 3 months in, we are leveling out. So the kids made a mess in the apartment (as a professional organizer this did once drive me bananas) but did they have fun? Yes. Did we laugh? Yes. That is the most important part.

Hoping my mantra will continue thru and make other aspects of my life more relaxed, at least for me....


-Posted using BlogPress from my iPhone

No comments :

Post a Comment