Monday, April 20, 2015

Things Take Twice as Long...

People warned me that things take twice as long. Anything and everything.  I really though it was due to the language but natives told me it's the Chinese Way, things just take longer.  Taking that into consideration I lowered my expectations, which were already generally modified considering I don't speak the language, to things just take time.

For example, getting a cell phone. It took three attempts and nearly 3.5 weeks but we managed to get phones and plans.  God knows what the plan is but the calls connect, the Wifi signal is on and I am free to whatsapp and instagram til my hearts content.

Another example, the supermarket produce section. You gather your produce then it has to be weighted and closed then you can buy it at the register.  Rookie mistake, taking your bag of avocados and bananas to check out and not having a bar code to scan....ejected from the line.

My more recent example, I started exercising in the gym facilities in our building, a small attempt to get back into running, to some degree.  The first few visits to the gym were as expected in America, a few treadmills, bikes, elliptical, weights, etc; one or two other people working out, the gym guy who lifts way-to-heavy-weights and makes loud grunting noise (a universal character apparently).  Last night I was in the gym and their were two elderly people riding the bikes literally as slow as anyone could ride an indoor bike, forget that they were wearing jeans and shoes (as opposed to workout clothes for those who don't know what more appropriate gym clothes might be). I thought maybe they were new to the building and just testing out the machines. No, they actually were quiet spry.  How do I know, you ask?  After their bike ride that seemed to take FOREVER, they couple went to play ping pong, at which they were quiet fast.  Working out even takes twice as long.

No comments :

Post a Comment