Monday, April 6, 2015

Passover Vacation Adventure at the Shanghai Zoo

Today we ventured to the very close and very large Shanghai Zoo. Large compared to Central Park Zoo standards.  Firstly, the subway stop is literally in front of the zoo, could not be easier to get to via public transportation.  Secondly, they only charged an entrance fee for me 40 RMB ($6.50) no kids. Can you tell, as a New Yorker I am shocked they didn't charge me for the kids? With no map in hand we explored our way around the expansive property the zoo is located on.

Shortly into our walk we saw a tram awaiting passengers. I figured, why not. We have no plan, no where to be.  As we get on the guy tells me 20 RMB ($3.25). Not knowing if it's hop-on/hop-off or multiple stops I figured whatever.  Waiting to depart two other expats walk up to join the tram, I hear the expat say to his friend 60 for both. I felt the need to interject and tell him we paid 20 for one.  He thanked me and got on for 20 each.  Somethings are negotiable...

Basically the tram took us to the back of the zoo the.... Red Panda's.  They were by far the most active animals in the zoo that we saw.  They had giraffes, sea lions, snakes, monkeys (eating their own poop), bears, tigers (napping), lions (lounging), kangaroos', elephants(looked like they were trying to use their trunks to unlock their cages), and much MUCH more. But most of the animals had one thing in common, they were all resting or lounging.  Granted it was not the warmest or driest day to be outside but it was by far the laziest bunch of animals we ever say.

It was certainly something...




No comments :

Post a Comment