Wednesday, April 1, 2015

Growing Up Aborad

My friend Melissa Woods shared this article "11 Ways Growing Up Abroad Ruined my Daughters Life".  Clearly with my current life circumstances I immediately clicked on the article, aside from the fact that Melissa usually is posting funky vegan recipes that I would never make but sound delicious.

I was expecting the article to really list the disadvantages of living abroad, some of the feelings I've been struggling with I thought might be be articulated in this article. But alas, the article really turned that frown upside down for me.

The first point "She gets confused as to which language to speak." We've been trying to help our son find the words to express himself when he feels frustrated. In talking one night before bed, he shared that he is feeling confused. I asked confused about what and he said everything at school is different. In the school he attends they speak in Hebrew, Chinese and English. Not realizing that affect it could have on him on a daily basis from 8:15-3 everyday it really made me take a step back. It is confusing. I'm confused, what must it be like for his little brain to be processing so much at such a rapid pace. Our dialouge has developed before bed most nights into how confusing it is and how we are in this adventure together and over time it will get less confusing and we have each other. I want him to know that it's not just confusing for the kids but for the mommy's and daddy's too.

I've said in previous post how having kids has kept me a bit more distracted with dealing with my own confusion and challenges with uprooting our family and moving to such a foreign country (with such an unnatural ear for learning languages). But I am excited to partake in this adventure and see what tomorrow faces.

No comments :

Post a Comment