Sunday, January 31, 2016

When You're Ready You're Ready

When we moved to Shanghai my good friend, Carrie, put me in touch with her co-workers cousin who is also living in Shanghai.  I've learned in ex-pat life a friend of a friend of a friend is a friend.  I reached out to Carrie's co-workers cousin (CCC) when we got here.

CCC and I met for coffee. She is great, nice, has kids my kids age-ish, friendly, and real  She seems to think my skill set with organizing and social work would totally take off here in Shanghai.  I am more cautious with the idea but she swears her knitting group would crush it with my help.

A few weeks ago she asked if I could come by and help with her kitchen. Shanghai kitchens can be very much like Manhattan kitchens so I said yes! I accepted the challenge.  I think we both did great! I suggested she get an additional shelf built in an empty space in her cabinet and the next day she texted me a picture of the installed shelf.  When you are ready you are ready.  CCC was motivated, aware and ready to declutter, prioritize and reuse.  It's not all about throwing things away but merely making a little time and seeing what you really use!

A difference between Shanghai kitchens and Manhattan kitchens? Spice and oil storage.  There are way more spices and oils used in cooking and thus more ways to find space to keep them fresh, neat and accessible in a small space.

In the spirit of Marie Kondo's new book "Spark Joy" I ask myself "is there a spark?" If not, it's out. But you have to be in the zone and ready. With two young kids and working I understand it's not always easy to find time to get organized, keep organized, let alone focus on non priorities.  I hope my time with CCC gave her the push to keep on moving because I saw she can totally do it!

Perhaps in the New Year we will see Spatial Relations: Sweeping Shanghai edition.

No comments :

Post a Comment