Wednesday, January 27, 2016

Costco China

I love Costco.

I love everything about Costco. The selection, the variety (and sometimes the lack there off, makes decision making easier) and the size. The fact that I can buy Kosher London Broil, the best baby wipes around and Clorox wipes all in the same place? What could be better.  Oh, their sheet cake is amazing!

There was some buzz earlier this year that a Costco was coming to China.  What could be more of a creature comfort than Costco in a foreign land.  Sadly, I recently learned that they opened a virtual store with limited product selection.  Kirkland Wipes are the only thing I would want to buy at this point.  To order them from Amazon and have them shipped here would cost nearly $150 for 2 boxes of wipes.  

In June last year an article came out researching the cost/benefit's of really shopping at Costco versus smaller retail stores. Sometimes buying bulk is not necessarily saving money but for me not to have buy weekly used products like toilet paper, paper towels, wipes, etc, weekly then I am happy to shop Costco.  

In 2013 CNBC aired a show about the Costco Craze. You can view the 42 minute episode on this youtube link.  I highly recommend it. It's fascinating to learn how the company works and how the select exactly what they will sell.  For example, I learned what extensive research and testing Costco does to decide which toy products they choose to sell each year.  As a consumer it makes me feel like if I buy a toy or book at Costco it is quality and durable and I will feel less guilty being impulsive because it's quality and durable.

My comfort for Costco will have to wait until we return to the States and I hope they continue to enhance their selection and quality.  

No comments :

Post a Comment