Monday, September 21, 2015

The Untold Story: The Anniversary

In one short week we will be approaching a special anniversary.

Last October, my husband had traveled to Singapore for work, overlapping with the celebration of holiday of Sukkot.  Rather than stay in NYC and celebrate the holiday I decided to get on a plane (with the 2 kids) and spend the holiday with my family in Israel.  While I am not adverse to flying with the kids myself, this trip was my first international solo-parenting experience.

With the time difference from Israel to Singapore and 3-day holiday it was a challenge to communicate with my husband.  Texting was the best way to communicate.  As the holiday was about to start the last text I received from my husband was "Want to move to China?" To which I replied, "yea....no."  Then we went into a communication lock-down for the holiday. It would be at least 72 hours before I could follow up and get any indication that moving to China was even a realistic possibility. I figured he was enjoying the Asian culture, traveling.  Honestly I thought it was a joke. Over those 72 hours I was talking about China with my brother. He was telling me what he heard about the Jewish community there (which was a must have for us on a relocation plan) and how Shanghai is so urban and progressive (in some ways).

When we came out of the 72 hours of technology lockdown I ran to my phone to see what the follow up text was per my response and to write back, "sure I'm up for a move".  Needless to say, the weeks that ensued have now led us onto our current path.  In 2 weeks I will be traveling (solo-parenting) back to Israel for Sukkot.  This time my husband will be joining us for the end of the holiday and celebration in honor of my nieces' bat mitzvah.

I can't help but think how just a year ago I thought my husband was making a crazy joke to move to China and here I am living in China.  Crazy as it is, we are doing it. One foot in front of the other, together.  Happy Anniversary to asking one of the craziest questions and I'll say "yes" (most of the time).  

No comments :

Post a Comment