Wednesday, September 16, 2015

New Fruit, New Year

In the spirit of the Rosh Hashana, the Jewish New Year, my new fruit was the surprisingly delicious and sweet lotus fruit. The lotus fruit was sugary sweet with a chewy texture.  I have no idea how to cut it or prepare it but it was delicious almost like a jelly bean.

In past years I've gone with the pomegranate as my new fruit but after a few years I think it loses its meaning.  As you can imagine it is very easy to try "new" fruits and vegetables here. I like to think I am have an adventurous palette while in Shanghai but I have fallen into my routine of menu ideas, or as we call it in my family the laminated menu.  We eat a lot of steamed rice, fried rice, chicken with broccoli, steamed vegetable dumplings, and noodles.  In my efforts to motivate and keep exploring this week I will venture to make steamed bread roles, a Chinese delicacy (which I think would translate into Challah for Jewish but I'll let you know).

I can say with certainty that I did not think I would be celebrating the beginning of 5776 in China if you had asked me at the start of 5775.  Just goes to show what a difference a year makes.

No comments :

Post a Comment