Wednesday, February 24, 2016

What's for Dinner?

What's for dinner? A lifelong question followed by what do you want to eat for dinner? Which my mom best answered "I don't know how to make 'I don't know'".

I was always a pretty healthy and easy eater. Once I got married I did feel like having dinner for two was a little less casual and required a little more thought and preparation.  Thankfully one of us really likes leftovers, alot and is low maintance.  Having kids I wanted to feed them to best I could, within reason.  I did not make my own baby food.

For some reason, for many reasons, thinking what to serve for dinner in NY was so much easier than in China.  In NY my default dinner for my son was the dinosaur schnitzel, frozen broccoli and ketchup. It was a sure thing.  Dr. Pragers were also a safe second.  I can buy Dr. Pragers in China but for some reason the kids aren't enjoying them as much.  As I have written about before we are eating healthier here because we really are eating much more fruits and vegetables than when we were in NY. But having them also means you have to have an idea of what to cook with them or how to prepare them.

I tried to map out a plan. One night chicken, one night fish, one night pasta, one night meat, one night pizza but for some reason I can't seem to get in the rhythm of the rotation. Every day I seem to be asking myself, what do we have in the house, what do I need to buy and I am inevitably needing to buy something else at the supermarket.

For instance, today I made a hearty chicken soup.  I set the chicken, the soup vegetables and some couscous on a plate. While my son ate it, an hour later he claimed he was still hungry and wanted something else to eat.  I succumbed to making a grilled cheese sandwich for him to eat.

While I do not advertise that I am running a buffet dinner here I do want to ensure my kids will eat something filling for dinner.

I was texting with a friend in the States how she has a similar problem, the what's for dinner question.  We talked about meal planning together but we haven't gotten around to it between the time difference, the kids and life (she has three little ones at home).  But meal planning seems like such a great way to stream line the food shopping and budget better as well!

I'm open to suggestions and strategies if you have an ideas that work for you. Perhaps there are 7 different ways to prepare General Tso?

No comments :

Post a Comment