Sunday, February 14, 2016

Thailand 2016

For Chinese New Year we joined the exodus from China and traveled to Thailand. We spent 3 days in a traffic filled Bangkok and 4 days in Phuket. 408 pictures later, we had a great time. I'm looking forward to making my photo book.
Bangkok was full of cars. I thought New York had bad traffic until I came to Shanghai. I thought Shanghai had bad traffic until I went to Bangkok. It was horrendous. It took about 45-60 minutes to go anywhere when it was only about 15 minutes away and it did not help one bit to have a child that seems to have developed a predictable case of car sickness. We saw temples, the Grand Palace, went on a boat ride, fed catfish, saw the floating market and road in tuk-tuks. 

We heard that going to Thailand during Chinese New Year was like staying in China. Everyone from China goes.  We did not feel that was the case at all for us. We met people from Russia, alot of Russians, England, Australia, and even ex-pats from Shanghai via Oregon.   



After the hustle and bustle of the city we were looking forward to some fun in the sun at the beach and pool in Phuket, with a side of elephant riding and feeding (big highlight and would totally recommend this place, it's humane).  Thailand was a place I never thought in all my life I would really get to until my kids were out of college.  It was pretty cool.  Much like many of the beach towns I've been to before Phuket felt like that.  It had its kitchy area, seafood and sun.  With some minor hiccups with checking into the hotel and getting an adequate room we really did relax and soak up the sun, sunscreen protected of course.  


In true China travel, it would not be an experience without a delay. We missed our connecting flight back to Shanghai.  Apparently 2 hours is NOT enough time to get off the plan, clear customs, get your luggage and recheck your luggage at the new airline to make the flight.  Lucky for us the next flight home was only an hour later, which we made.  

Please note the pin on this kind airline agent's lapel.  No smiles here.  













No comments :

Post a Comment