Sunday, March 15, 2015

It's Certainly Something...

Taking it one day at a time.

The moments come and go with easing into the idea that we are really living here and "oh my god what are we doing" to "this is an awesome adventure". When we told people we were moving to China for 2 years they'd respond with things like: "that's crazy", "that's awesome" or "no way" . I would respond back(and I am sure people over heard my say it alot in the lobby of MDS) "it's certainly something!"

Jumping in with both feet along with 3 other people's set of feet helps keep me sane...well as sane has a nearly 4 year old and 1 year old can keep one person sane-ish.  A special shout out to Jodie Steinway for letting me borrow her reading material(I will return the book), a hilarious book called "I Heart my Little A-Holes" by Karen Alpert. Basically it is snipits of all the annoyingly lovable things kids do and why we have kids and the things you wish you could say to complete strangers when they make completely unsolicited comments, suggestions and judgements to your parenting style.  The book has helped me have a lighter attitude on the adjustment here and being with my kids.

Moving to Shanghai has certainly taken it's toll on our kids.  Between the jet-lag, the food, the new environment, uprooting from school, family, friends, favorite playgrounds to name a few we are hanging tough.  I know how hard it feels for me as 30-something individual who can fully (when willing) express my feelings and thoughts go through this process.  Being aware of my feelings and sensations I have become more sensitive on how my nearly 4 year old must be feeling.  It was a rough week at school for him. We initially thought the transition went well but towards the end of the week we got slot of resistance from him.  Too be expected and trying to help him find the words to express how he is feeling about this "crazy adventure" we are enduring together.

We are starting to meet some other parents in the community and neighborhood which is helping us and the kids.  Today (our Sunday) we took the very clean not non congested subway "intown" to check out a different neighborhood.  We ended up in an area that was basically like being on Fifth Avenue in Manhattan (Cartier, Gucci, Apple).  We also found ourselves inside this mall.  Not knowing we were in China you might think we were really at a mall in New Jersey!

A special shout out to this little one-year old LDF. If you asked me a year ago, let along 6 years ago if I'd be living in Shanghai, I would not have believed you.  A special shout out to this awesome big brother for being a sport about this whole crazy adventure.





- Posted using BlogPress from my iPhone

No comments :

Post a Comment